SailNet Community - View Single Post - S/V Quest taken by Somali pirates
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011

christianoronaldo is on a distinguished road
Hey Mike I wouldn't go so far as to nuk them and yes you're right there is such a thing as personal responsibility.I am not a deep water sailor but if I was and I was to pass the gulg of aden I'd prefer carrying guns not bibles.
None the less as far as sea transportation is concerned,Gibraltar strates,Panama and Suez canals are the three most strategic points.What would you say if tomorrow the Panama goverment shut down the canal?And if Morocan goverment put missiles in the entarnce of the straits?
YES the 2 canals werent there 100 years before but there they are now and our planet,our global society is making progress.We should not head back( or make circles...).
I am just wondering...How many ships have been captured so far?500-600?All of them had to pay what,a couple million dollars each?Hmm, so these guys (the pirates) are getting bigger and stronger.Whats next?
Hey I am not sailing in that area and I probably wont be sailing there any time soon but as a sailor I feel for all the people that either work on cargo ships and the y ve got families to feed either they took their nice yacht to make their dream come true.I say it is time for some land operations and air strikes.These guys are controlling the highway of the seas and that is unacceptable .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook