SailNet Community - View Single Post - C&C 34 mainsail shape problem
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Do the tell tales break evenly. On the genoa, I believe so, but I will get back to you after next weekends race.
You should monitor for an even break frequently and evenly, how the teeltales bereak is the proper way to judge your genoa car position.

This week we agreed to prebend with the baby stay and then backstay tension - again no wind to try this idea.
The baby stay is to prevent pumping in a heavy sea...take it off and put it away. Setup pre-bend without it. You might get another see of eyes to look over your rig setup.

Last week we released tension in the genoa leach to add curvature. Had no noticeable impact on main shape.
Are you talking about the leech line or the genoa sheet? This seems a pretty confused statement

We are probably trimming the genoa to about 3-4" off the spreader. I haven't noted where the foot falls relative to the chainplate - likely pretty tight when we are trying to point. I am not certain where max draft on the genoa is falling. Assuming we are not over trimming (and I think we are some but lets assume) what are the impacts of these items on the mainsail luffing?
Overtimming will increase backwind in the main, as you make the slot narrower. Your spreader sounds not two tight, 2" off was my target on a similar boat. That you dont know the location of the genoa draft is bad, as draft aft will do a numbe rof negative things including increasing backwind in the main.

Outhaul has been futzed with - full flat in anything over about 10kn. I would prefer the main be trimmed midships, but to fill luffing, my friend asks me to trim main to windward. I feel this creates more heel than drive but I am the trimmer - right.
Boom should never be above centerline.

I just noticed that the aft end of the boom droops below parallel. I was told this is normal for the boat as it adds sail area that isn't counted in the PHRF rating. Can this be?
yes, but the main halyard not being full hoist is also a likely explanation.
I'm thinking the boom weight may be distorting the sail shape some.
Only if the sail has no shape to begin with...

Was the boat designed to have the mast canted forward then backstay tensioned to level boom?
No.

Pictures - its not my boat and I really like sailing with these guys. I don't want to make myself unwelcome. But if I am gonna be on the main, I'd like to quietly solve this problem. So don't get frustrated if there are no pictures.

Boat speed is competitive. We are coming in second consistently. But to get a first we need to shave 2.5 minutes a mile on the number 1 boat.
Sounds like most of the other boats have greater trim problems..

No one has addressed the crux of this question though. Did the 1978 C&C 34 sail with a big back wind in its mainsail luff in most conditions? Is there something about this boat's intended set up that we don't know.
Posters have told you no. You should try this subject ont he C&C discussion group where other 34 owners can give you comparable info. Happy trimming...

Last edited by sailingfool; 02-21-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook