SailNet Community - View Single Post - trailer sailers - seaward vs precision
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011
NielsV

NielsV is on a distinguished road
trailer sailers - seaward vs precision

Hi there - after many years of saving we now have some cash in hand to buy my first sailboat, but trying to decide which boat to buy....

Having gone back and forth on 27-30 ft keelboats, I decided it's best to start with a trailerable 23-25 ft sailboat, since it will be easier to learn on (I used to sail as a kid, but skills are rusty currently) and I like the idea of being able to move it around. I narrowed down my search to the Precision 23, Compac 23 and the Seaward models (23,24,25).

Budget is 15-20 k CAN$. I'll be sailing it on Lake Ontario and hope to trailer it to areas as Bay of Quinte / Thousand Island / Georgian Bay, etc. It will be initially used as a day sailor, leaving it in a slip during the season. I have a young family of 5 (3 yng boys - aged 2, 4, 7). If the boys take it well, I might look into weekend trips, but will bring it slowly to them. If they don't like it, I want a boat that I can handle on my own or with friends)

I would appreciate advice between the various models mentioned above. Also looking to find out the differences between the 3 Seaward models, particularly wrt number of berths. I quite like the S25, but it really goes for quite a premium. The S24 seems to go for significantly less.

many thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook