SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

trailer sailers - seaward vs precision

31K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  puddinlegs 
#1 ·
Hi there - after many years of saving we now have some cash in hand to buy my first sailboat, but trying to decide which boat to buy....

Having gone back and forth on 27-30 ft keelboats, I decided it's best to start with a trailerable 23-25 ft sailboat, since it will be easier to learn on (I used to sail as a kid, but skills are rusty currently) and I like the idea of being able to move it around. I narrowed down my search to the Precision 23, Compac 23 and the Seaward models (23,24,25).

Budget is 15-20 k CAN$. I'll be sailing it on Lake Ontario and hope to trailer it to areas as Bay of Quinte / Thousand Island / Georgian Bay, etc. It will be initially used as a day sailor, leaving it in a slip during the season. I have a young family of 5 (3 yng boys - aged 2, 4, 7). If the boys take it well, I might look into weekend trips, but will bring it slowly to them. If they don't like it, I want a boat that I can handle on my own or with friends)

I would appreciate advice between the various models mentioned above. Also looking to find out the differences between the 3 Seaward models, particularly wrt number of berths. I quite like the S25, but it really goes for quite a premium. The S24 seems to go for significantly less.

many thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
There is little difference between the Seaward 24 and Seaward 25, other than age- the 24s are older, and IMO are good value. The Seaward has more room than the Precision, but the Precision is arguably a more performance oriented boat. However, "more room" is subjective. Our boat has space similar to a Seaward 25, and it is tight for two of us and two dogs. If you are going to be in a slip for the season, I wouldn't worry over much about trailerability. You might trailer it once or twice a season, so you might want to widen your search to boats like a Catalina 27 or an older Hunter Cherubini designed 27. If you can find one with a trailer, and there are a number of them out there, you are golden.

#3 ·
You may want to re-evaluate your decision criteria to include the MacGregor line of trailerable sailboats, they seem to fit your reqirements more suitably and if you should decide it was a mistake they are very easy to sell at close to what you pay for it.
The MacGregor is very easy to sail single handed and easy to trailer and launch and can be towed with a class 3 traler hitch. They have plenty of room below to get the young boys out of the weather when it turns inclement and the boys will learn to sail one on their own at a young age. You can leave it in a slip or park it in your driveway, choice is yours, but with a trailerable you are not required to maintain a slip while trying to sell it since it can be sold from your driveway. MacGregors are eay to come by and easy to sell, versatile and easy to handle, a very good beginners sailboat, the kids would love it and they are very spacious, moreso than any other sailboat of the same length. Check a few out.

#4 ·
Don't neglect the esthetic component.

Seawards and many others have a very contemporary look that can be plastic-y to a lot of people. Check out their interior pics for the 26:
Hake Yachts 26RK Interior Pictures

MacGregors are like this also.

Some people like the clean look, some people don't, and it may well strike a lot of people neutrally. I caught a glimpse of a slipmate's newly purchased Seaward and fell in love, until I saw the interior. It felt like the inside of an airline bathroom to me, all molded plastic. Very practical, but not appealing to my eye.

This may or may not make a difference to you. If you are considering spending that amount of money I would definitely look at LOTS of interior pictures and, if you can, go on to a lot of boats. The interior layout and feel has a lot to do with how much enjoyable time someone spends on a boat.

Carlos

#5 ·
thanks all for the feedback.

The Seaward / McGregor intereriors do not disturb all that much. The exterior however of the M26 does disturb me somewhat, though the older ones 26s or d seem better "esthically".

I do take on board CaptKermie comment wrt the addional space on a M26 for the kids. With that in mind, how about the Catalina 250 WB? Any feedback on that? Can I get one around my budget? It sure is prettier (and more expensive) than the M26.

I really like the freedom trailering gives me, so moving to a 27 ft yacht despite the additional space / relative same cost etc, is something I am hesitant about.

The P23 seems to give me good looks (I really like the side decks) and good performance. The larger 25 ft water ballast models listed give me significant more space, though not as good looking.... Again quite interested in feedback on the C250 WB. Comments?

#6 ·
I used to have a Precision 23. I loved the "classic" looks, the decent quality gear (Harken), the good build quality and the manufacturer was very responsive to questions (and when I had a part break, sent me out a new one at no charge). If I had to go back to the day I made a decision on the P23, I can say I'd be like you - have a hard time between choosing a Precision vs. a Seaward. I didn't know the Seaward's existed at that point though, so my decision was vs. Catalina and Hunter, and the Precision beat them (from my perspective).

The P23 doesn't have all of the comforts that some of the other same class boats have (no dedicated area for the head, no pop-top, etc., but she sails incredibly well, is well built, has good support, and looks beautiful. Those were my criteria.

I can't really compare them against the Seaward though since I don't know it well. You might want to check out Precision Sailboats Forum - Message Index

#7 ·
Hi Niel,

I am in the same region and I'm looking at a Trailable Sailboat to. My choice was between the hunter 260, catalina 250 and the macgregor 26S (1991 to 1995) since Macgregor seems to not make sailboat anymore but those motorsailer...

Seaward looks really nice but they are much more expensive then the catalina and hunter and macgregor...

Let us know what you choose

#10 ·
Much. While not a perfect indicator of performance, looking up a boat's PHRF handicap can give a good general idea of what you're looking for. Both the Mac and Catalina rate around 222, the S2 around 168. (seconds per mile). They sail very well on all points (upwind especially, the S2 will just crush the Mac and Catalina with both speed and point), are very well built, trailerable, and have good accommodation for a 26' boat.

#11 ·
Thanks for your comments Puddinlegs. The last time I sailed it was about 15 years ago when I was a kid. I just know that the sail boat we were on was a 30 some feet Benneteau which I know are very good. I don't have that kind of money right now lol.

I like the Mac, Catalina, S2 and probably all of them. I just want to learn and enjoy being on the water at a reasonnable price for now.

What is the maintenance cost of a sail boat? I owe a motorbike and they are cheap to maintain if you do your stuff yourself like changing your oil, brakes and so on. So I can do a season of motorbiking for around $1,000 to $1,500 depending how often I do trackdays on my bike.

What would be the maintenance cost of a sailboat? I heard that trailable sailboat are less expensive to maintain as well? What would be the difference between a Mac a Catalina or a S2? Sorry Niel, I hope I don't ruin your thread :)

#14 ·
Thanks for your comments Puddinlegs. The last time I sailed it was about 15 years ago when I was a kid. I just know that the sail boat we were on was a 30 some feet Benneteau which I know are very good. I don't have that kind of money right now lol.

I like the Mac, Catalina, S2 and probably all of them. I just want to learn and enjoy being on the water at a reasonnable price for now.

What is the maintenance cost of a sail boat? I owe a motorbike and they are cheap to maintain if you do your stuff yourself like changing your oil, brakes and so on. So I can do a season of motorbiking for around $1,000 to $1,500 depending how often I do trackdays on my bike.

What would be the maintenance cost of a sailboat? I heard that trailable sailboat are less expensive to maintain as well? What would be the difference between a Mac a Catalina or a S2? Sorry Niel, I hope I don't ruin your thread :)
Cost depends on many factors, especially the condition the boat's in when you buy it. As a rule of thumb, I'd say 10-20% of the price you paid for the boat. If you're racing, you're looking at the upper end. If you can store the boat on your property, well, moorage is part of your house mortgage cost. :)

About the 'trailerbility' of the S2, it's excellent. There's one sailed hard and often locally kept in dry storage. They have access to a hoist, but just use the trailer at the launch. If they have the mast down, they seem to get it up very quickly and have all their shrouds and stays marked for quick and correct adjustment.

Here's a link to the class association website:

S2 7.9 Class web page

#12 ·
How big a "trailerable" boat can you actually launch from the trailer? I have seen small sailboats with a full keel that would be impossible from a boat ramp without a 50' tongue. A boat that requires a crane to launch loses a lot of mobility and convenience.

#13 ·
Great comment, Cpt. Bill. I see many boats sitting on trailers that are indeed trailerable......but do not at all appear "launchable" without a crane. Having transitioned from motor boats to sailboats, I learned that launching a sailboat of equal length required MUCH more time and effort. Mast stepping, rigging, etc...not to mention the increased draft requires more rampage.

I am also in the market for a P21 or P23, and will consider the other trailerables as well, and have been following this thread with interest.

Any comments related to the actual launching and recovery of these boats would be appreciated by this lurker as well.

#17 ·
I don't see why not. It's not complex, nor is it a tweaky sport boat. Personally, I'd steer someone toward a boat that sails well and is relatively standard in set up. There aren't many truly trailerable boats that fit that bill. The S2 has a good class association that can provide a lot of help and specific advice. I would take sailing lessons, or have some experienced friends/aquaintences help you get up and running. The S2 also holds its value relatively well. If you were considering a keel boat, I'd say a Thunderbird would be a nice first boat that would serve your purposes as well.

#16 ·
s2

I have always liked the S2 7.9. FYI, I believe the beam is over the legal limit for trailering w/o a permit in most states (generally 8'6"). It might be close enough you wouldn't get caught, but you might be SOL if you had an accident while trailering. FWIW I used to trailer a 5,000 lb with a 3.5 foot draft. With a tongue extension it was launchable on most ramps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.