SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Boat Won't Back (in a straight or controlled line)
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
I described a similar reverse docking procedure awhile back. For those who wonder why anyone would want to back in, some marinas have short finger docks, and some boats are difficult to board on the bow. That combination of factors can make backing in absolutely necessary. Also, docking in strong currents makes reversing direction suicidal - by the time you regain steering, you've already drifted into the dock. So you need to go backwards the whole way. I initially get funny looks when standing in front of the wheel facing backwards, but they are always followed by nods of approval when they see how effective it is:

Need advice for leaving my slip in strong currents

For those who have an outboard, a hard link makes low speed maneuvering much better because it eliminates the need to have any speed past the rudder. Here's my design:

Need advice for leaving my slip in strong currents

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook