SailNet Community - View Single Post - Toe rail: Replace existing mahogany, or go with aluminum?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Toe rail: Replace existing mahogany, or go with aluminum?

Howdy gents, another in a long series of questions you can expect from me over the next three months...

We have to replace the rotted toe rail, it currently is the oe mahogany, and it's shot. Obviously we have never done a toe rail, and we aren't sure of the difficulty of replacing it with either wood or aluminum.

Cate ran across the below pieces of aluminum from WM, looks like it comes in 34' lengths (which would work for our boat). My thoughts and questions: Am I correct in assuming the metal toe rail would be virtually maintenance free? Does anyone know how hard it is to install? Does it conform (bend) to the hull shape easily? Can two greenhorns install it without needing to call out the national guard for rescue?

Would wood be more difficult to fabricate and install? I know wood looks way better, but I really would consider the metal as it seems like a truly functional way to go. It would eliminate the current toe rail mounted block track, as you can use snatch blocks in any one of the holes on the aluminum, correct?

The bottom line is I would like to keep the wood if it is practical and something we can build and install ourselves without tearing our hair out.

Thoughts? Fire away..

A pic of what we have now
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook