SailNet Community - View Single Post - Toe rail: Replace existing mahogany, or go with aluminum?
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
sailingdog

I am unfamiliar with these terms and what they mean regarding my hull-deck join, can you please elaborate on what to look for so I can identify what I have?
Faster has posted great illustrations of the different types of hull-deck joins, and yours appears to either be a shoebox join or a inward-turned flange, like the irwin has.

Quote:
I have really great access to all the bolts of the toe rail (it is thru bolted by the way). None of the bends seem that extreme, but I honestly don't know what would constitute a hard bend.

The w/m alum. toe rail is on sale for just under $700.00 for a 34' section (I'd need two), so it is pricey initially but maintenance free in the long run (I'd imagine). When you say I wouldn't have to thru bolt it all the length of it (a wood rail), how is this possible? It's currently bolted the entire length, and it seems like it would be "loose" where it was not bolted? I'd love to eliminate as many fasteners as possible, but I don't understand how I could achieve this in this application...?
You're going to have to through-bolt the toe rail at regular intervals, usually every 4-6" or so.

Quote:
I do plan on bedding with butyl tape instead of a curing product, I plan on bedding everything with butyl actually.

If going with wood, would you recommend shorter sections that would (I think) require less bending, or longer sections that show less seams and endgrain?
Just be careful in areas near the fuel fill, since butyl tape is damaged by long-term exposure to petroleum fuels. That's one reason I don't recommend it for bedding fuel deck fills. It will make doing this a lot simpler, since you don't have to worry about it curing before you are done.

BTW, if you haven't priced a wooden rub rail, I think you'll be rather shocked at the cost of a good mahogany or teak rub rail... the aluminum isn't that much more expensive overall, and the reduced maintenance will more than make up for it in the long run. Don't forget to use something to isolate the stainless steel bolts from the aluminum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook