Looking for dinghy recommendations
I currently own a Sunfish clone (Pointer 14) and enjoy the boat quite a bit.
While I'd like to keep my current boat, I'd like to pick up something that my whole family can enjoy. I was considering picking up another Sunfish-type boat, but I'd also like something that is drier.
I live in northern New England, and sail in lakes. Offshore sailing and large waves are not an issue - although I'd like to be able to occasionally use the boat in protected ocean bays or Long Island Sound.
Here is what I am looking for:
- Something that my wife and two boys can all sail in.
- Something that can be beached.
- Easily trailerable. (I have a car and a van - nothing heavy duty.)
- Can be sailed single handed.
- Can be launched single handed. (The boys are still young.)
- Easy and quick to rig. (I often sneak out of work for a couple of hours of afternoon sailing.)
- A stable boat for the family. Positive flotation is a plus. I'm not looking to race. I'd like something that the kids can handle as the grow up.
I'm fine with one sail (e.g. lateen rig). If this means that it's quick to rig the boat, and it's easy to sail - then that's fine. Something that can take a little abuse is a big plus.
I am not handy. I would need a boat that's no more than a few years old. New boats are fine.
I'm starting to think that there just aren't many boats in this category. I've considered a Catalina 14.2 Expo, but I'm not sure if it's quite big enough. I've also heard that it takes two people to step the mast.
I'm also starting to think that I should just go with a 25 foot weekender type boat, but's that a thread for another day. The biggest problem with going up to that size is the lack of late model used boats and the fixed costs associated with a boat that is not routinely trailered.
Any thoughts? Thanks!