SailNet Community - View Single Post - Flat-bed trailer & keel boat: cradle, supports or bunks?
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Removing the bar and putting a bolted on bar in its place is a bad idea. If you forget to tighten the bolts or replace the bar, the aft stands could easily spread and cause your boat to drop off the back of the trailer. At least with the bar there, if the stands spread, the boat won't move very far aft...
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotted View Post
Hi marty: way less than 3Gs sounds like my price range...

I just missed a 36 ft ex-house trailer (park model, superstructure stripped off, just the frame), with tandem axle & electric brakes, for $800! I figured a cradle on that, cut some bits off the back, and I'd be good to go. A friend of the present (now previous) owner bought it.

So it's doable for less than $2000 buying a new (cough, hack) cradle, and probably closer to $1000 if everything is used and just needs welding, or bolting together. I can paint.

@sailingdog - I didn't observe in the photos the horizontal bar running side-to-side across the supports at the front and back. Thanks for spotting this! I think this bar could be replaced at the back supports with a bolted bar, to be removed while launching. Additional support could be provided with sideways diagonal bars like the fore and aft bars between the supports and the trailer bed. Look at a Jowi cradle, there's adequate room to slide the keel out backwards between the supports.

Does anyone know where to find abandoned or even used Jowi cradles?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook