SailNet Community - View Single Post - Flat-bed trailer & keel boat: cradle, supports or bunks?
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011
Abbott 22

knotted is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the pointer sailingdog! I agree totally. I'm paranoid about either dropping the boat while parked and especially while working on it, or leaving it behind in splinters on the highway while driving

I'd prefer something that's not removable, and therefore it becomes impossible to forget to put it back, or tighten bolts properly etc. Nothing wrong with redundancy and preventative measures!

While a complicated gate mechanism with permanent pins on the bar dropping into holes on the frame could be done to 'prevent' forgetting to tighten or even replace a bolt, one still has to remember to put the bar back although hinging the bar might help there. (Getting way too complicated!) And while the bar's off, the possibility of spreading always exists. According to Murphy's Law, it will spread but not until you've dropped the trailer off the side of the ramp....

Triangular bracing across the back of the trailer would leave an opening of sufficient size for the keel to pass through, and prevent spreading of the supports, I think. All subject to proper design, of course.

The Jowi cradle would seem to be the answer. The 0.5 model has the capacity for the boat, with a length of 105 inches x 60 inches wide, and triangular bracing at each corner to boot! They're often made into trailers by attaching to a flat bed, I believe. This is the next larger Jowi, but same design:

Anyone know of a marina or yard with used ones 'for sale', or better yet, abandoned ones? I'm scouring craigslist, eBay, and thanks to Hudsonian some NY marinas.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook