SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mitlenatch Island - A wildlife paradise
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
Faster, your description of Mitlenatch is about right and exactly how I quite often see it. Mittlenatch is likely my most regularly used aid for determining my position out there.

I often take day trips there from Campbell River or stop there on my way to the sunshine coast and even then it's a bit out of the way and seems to take forever to get there. By the way, there is a very old log cabin on the island and I believe it is the old Manson Family cabin from the days this island was used for sheep farming until I guess they figured the environment was a bit harsh in the winter. The cabin is wide open and filled with all kinds of treasures to look at or add to. During the summer, volunteers take turns camping on the island and basically act as watchmen and I think there's actually a waiting list.

John, your right...it's just that far out of the way that it needs to be a day trip there and back to somewhere sheltered. There are so many places to explore around here and a person can hit multiple spots all in one day as this one requires an entire day getting there, exploring and getting back so it's quite understandable and probably fortunate not to many cruisers go there. The beeches there are covered with some of the largest oysters around but unfortunately no touching.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook