SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

yesterday's sail

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  omaho5 
#1 ·
Well I have owned my new 1979 Islander 30 for 2 weeks now, and have only taken her out once - with very little wind.

Yesterday - wind at 10-12.

This boat took off and actually had to roll in the furling to get away from 15-17 degree heel. The boat took it in stride ( I did not ). Still trying to get used to the size and her handling.

This boat completely blows away from previous Catalina 2 in style, speed and handling.

The perfect day so far with this boat.

#2 ·
15-17 degrees heel is just about normal for conditions like that, and something you'll soon become accustomed to. 20 to 25 degrees and starting to put the rail in the water is when you really need to start depowering, but even that shouldn't be terribly alarming.

Good for you.... we were shovelling a relativley rare Feb snowfall....:(

#11 ·
Sounds great PC..My first keelboat boat was a 77 Islander 28. She was a blast to sail with a turn of speed. 15 degrees is almost a perfect heel for the amount of wind. As you begin to learn that she has far greater toleranace than that, although it may not be the most comfortable way to sail you will trust her heel in steady winds more. Where it becomes an issue is on the gusty days.

Enjoy learning you boat and how safe she is and what she can take. The Islanders well well designed boats of their day and still have the classic lines of the cruiser/ racers of that era.

Have fun..

Dave

#13 ·
Congratulations on a great sail. As others have said, you'll get used to it. Eventually, you'll do it on purpose to get an "extreme heeling" picture to post online.

Regards,
Brad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.