SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

paint useage ?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
okay give me some numbers on how much paint you used. what i need to do is boot stripes in blue. also i want to paint the top sides boat is 27 long and 9.3 wide.

will the little half pint of bright sides do a boot stripe 6 inches by 27 feet or will i need more? ( well actually 4, two per side water line and toe rail )

#2 ·
A quart of paint typically covers 100 sq ft. A half-pint will probably cover about 20 sq. ft, since you lose more to the container on smaller containers of paint. 4" x 27' is about 9 sq. ft. YMMV.

#4 ·
:(

I think the OP's main concern is whether the half-pint would do the boot and cove stripes on the boat... or that is at least how I read it... and I think, if he's careful, he can probably do the boot and cove stripes with two coats using a half-pint of paint.

#5 ·
yes and no SD, yes i wanted to know if the half pint can, can do the stripes. and i stated wrong, by topside i meant the deck, should have said the deck

i also want to paint the deck, which i figure is about 200 to 250 square feet if i include the non skid and vertical parts of the cockpit.

#7 ·
If you're painting the deck, cabintop and cockpit, what I would recommend is removing as much of the hardware as you can. Mask off the non-skid areas cutting into the non-skid area by about two inches, and then paint the "smooth" areas with whatever paint you are planning to use. Then mask off the "smooth" areas and paint the non-skid areas with something like DURABAK or KIWIGRIP. This will minimize the amount of paint you need and give you a very good non-skid surface.

On any paint job, 95% of the work is in the preparation, and that will make or break the paint job. Even an expensive two-part LPU paint won't last very long or look very good unless the prep was done properly.

#6 ·
If you are going to paint the deck with brightsides, be prepared to repaint every two or three years, even with excellent prep.

I use brightsides on my deck because I am cheap and can accept a good enough finish, but if you want a quality finish to be proud of then do the best prep possible including removing all fittings and use a two part epoxy.

#8 ·
i do know prep is the key.

i was planning on using perfection on the deck, and brightsides for the stripes. i understand the non skid issues with painting and have a plan for that.

my plan is to do the non skid areas with mixed paint and grip, then spray the whole deck.

i know there are other ways like paint then nonskid with other products.

#9 ·
Be careful if you're spraying a two-part paint. Most of them are pretty toxic and you need to have the right respirator gear to do it safely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.