SailNet Community - View Single Post - Children now? Pirate Content...
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Based on my experience, in the 3rd world children are of no consequence. And, a "child" over 13 - 14 years of age is not considered a child. In fact a child that is capable of aiming and firing a weapon isn't considered a child. The Danes will see no "mercy" for their children in that part of the world.

Frankly, while I think it would have been bad judgement to have taken the yacht into that area with adults only, having done so with children aboard--and exposing them to such danger--verges on criminal negligence.

Unfortunately, I don't think any government, or group of governments, will take any preemptive action to stop piracy until the body count, and accordingly public outrage/indignation, is great enough to force action. Until then, I doubt anything will happen to remedy the situation.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook