SailNet Community - View Single Post - Children now? Pirate Content...
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
In another 12 months or so I will have to make the decision about which way to continue our circumnavigation either Red Sea or around South Africa.
Hi,

I think you'd be nuts to go up the north Indian Ocean untill this piracy thing is sorted out.

A convoy is NOT going to make you safe! Especially if they are like the convoy I was on 12 months ago, or if they are like SlowButSteady shows in his post where the dills post their locations.
At best a convoy will allow you to be the harder target so sacrificing some other boat.

Below is a photo of our convoy with an unwelcome visitor popping in.
See how spread the convoy is?
See how sails are up thus increasing the range the convoy can be seen?
See how there is no wind?
See how easy it is for a skiff to penetrate the 'safety' of our convoy?
See inside the skiff. Is that guy holding a gun? If you have a gun do you shoot now? Or wait for him to shoot?
Who will get to you first: The Navy or the skiff?

Do you think I was a tad scared whilst taking that photo? You betcha life I was! I don't need to be that scared. I'm meant to be cruisin'

I'd much prefer to intelligently look at the Cape of Good Hope and make sure there's weather information to pass the Aghulas current when there's no storm.
Its not as tough a passage as Cape Horn. The Cape of Good Hope is the same latitude as Sydney or Cape Hatteras. Its do-able. Especially do-able with your experience.

If you want to read more about our experience going through the Indian Ocean and the Gulf of Aden theres a bit on my website ourlifeatsea.com/pirates.html

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pirates4.jpg (35.5 KB, 110 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook