SailNet Community - View Single Post - Caliber LRC 40
Thread: Caliber LRC 40
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2006
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Greg
I too have been looking at the Caliber 40LRC. It is #1 on my list when I switch boats from my current Hunter 33. I have talked to and have been on a few Caliber's and love the boat. Caliber's website says it all about the boat and all the owners agree with the advertisements. The downside to the boat are, light wind performance ( can be overcome with code zero or other large drifter sails), weather-helm when loading up the the stern with all the toys( arch, solar panels, dingy hoist, etc), support from Caliber ( hot or cold from the brothers), Staysail tracks and line sheets not right for optimum performance, and some quality control problems when buying a new boat that are resolved but annoying. The other is the nav station being cramped for tall persons and too close to the stove. Items get spilled on to the nav station when cooking. Like all boats there is compromises and this one is no exception.
Every owner I have talked says the boat is solid on the open seas. It was what it is built for. I haven't found a boat out there yet that matches the storage space foot for foot that the Caliber has. For liveaboard I love this. The fuel and water tanks are great. They are down below the waterline and near the center of gravity which adds to more stability and a safer boat. My question to the brothers were why so much weight in the keel with this configuration. When the tanks are full there is over 2600 lbs. Their reply was weak in my opinion, " Just adds more stability"! It is a very heavy boat and just my opinion can be lighten up.
Melissa
S/V Freedom
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook