SailNet Community - View Single Post - A new bottom job
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011

DGriffith is on a distinguished road
Alot of good input. I do have a breakdown of items on the bid. The yard charges 55.00 per hour labor which is 10.00 less than local yards because of their location and has a good reputation and refrences. I would be using Gulf Coast Soda Blasting. The owner is a fellow yacht club member and also has a very good reputation for quality work. His SSCA presentation at our local luncheon (he is a member) was informative. He claims soda blasting is the least damaging way to remove bottoms and the greenest way also, no damage to gelcoat. His charge 1500.00 with one days labor. If I were to try a DIYS job my yard fees would be just that for weekend only labor. Yes you can consider Galveston Bay tropcial with 96 degree water temps in summer but 55 degree temps in winter. Alot of expantion and contraction. I do like the recomendation about ablative paint but I must be honest, we don't sail our boat enough to keep it clean. My diver scrubs the bottom 4 times a year and keeps the zinks fresh. At 389.00 haul block and launch a 2 year bottom racks up the $$$. I get 4 years on a hard bottom. In the bid the material cost is more than the labor. Please keep the posts coming I still haven't made up my mind. Doug
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook