SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pulling transponder cables
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
There is nothing contradictory between my first and most recent posts... In the first I say:

Quote:
Attach a messenger line to the old leads and then pull the lines out... and use the messenger line to pull the new leads back through. Coating the wires with McLube SailKote will help a lot.
Which means that you attach a messenger line to the wires at the DISPLAY END and pull the messenger back through to the TRANSDUCER SIDE, which is also pretty much what I say in my most recent post.

Quote:
Yes, but this generally doesn't work for transducer wires, which are usually affixed to the transducer at one end, and must come into the wiring conduit via the transducer end. Unless you're cutting the wire at the old transducer, it can't be used to pull wire in the proper direction—transducer to instrument display—so you generally need a messenger line. I don't recommend cutting the transducer wires, even on the old transducer, because they might still be useful.
The reason I don't recommend always cutting the wires, which you would need to do to use them as the messenger to pull the new transducer wires through is that you might be upgrading and may want to sell the old gear if it is in working order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Also be aware of warranty issues. I recently installed a whole bank of new Raymarine and every transducer had dire warnings regarding the fate of my warranty if the cables are in any way stretched due to pulling them thru.

I would go with the thinnest strongest cord you can find (if ever I had a logical application for Dyneema, this would be it) because if the joint between the old cable and the new one parts halfway down the tube, the nightmare really begins.

SD, if a messenger doesn't already exist, the old transducer line is your only choice. And why would you want to save it if the transducer is being replaced? BTW check your first post and then your last?? I don't get it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook