SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cored deck soft spot repair
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
And setting up this vacuum system, as well as using the acetone, over the course of days is going to be less expensive? Cutting off the old skin, scraping out the bad balsa core material, and then re-coring it is probably simpler and faster than trying to dry the existing core, and certainly more likely to result in a sound repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
I'll let you know if it works! I'll also let you know if it does not work. I was told that using the Hi-Vac system that 99-percent of the moisture will be removed, but it's not something that takes a few hours--it takes days of constant high-vacuum suctioning before the acetone is injected for the completion of the drying process. At today's labor prices, the cost of replacing the core and then re-doing the deck surfaces would likely be higher than the cost of the boat. Hey, if I get another 10 years out of this old tub, and I don't loose too many of my body parts in the next decade, I'll be more than happy with the repair. A decade from now both me and the boat will be ready for the scrap yard.

Cheers,

Gary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook