SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cored deck soft spot repair
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
The two estimates for re-coring the wet areas were both in excess of $15,000. The Band-Aid approach will be about $1,900. Labor charges alone averaged $75 to $100 per hour. Some fiberglass guys are charging as much as $130 an hour in the upper Chesapeake Bay area. I would hate to think what the labor charges would be in Annapolis.

BTW: I have seen wet transoms in power boats dried out using the Hi-Vac technique with excellent results. Of course, in the case of a deck you are dealing with a nearly horizontal surface, while the transom is nearly vertical so drainage may be more effective with transom repairs. I know of at least one instance of transom repair that has held up for at least 12 years. It was done on a 210 Proline powered with a 150-HP Mercury outboard that is transom mounted. Obviously, I haven't seen a cutaway section of decking or transom that has been repaired using this technique so I couldn't tell you anything about the bonding. If anyone has some photos and documentation of this I would really appreciate it if they were posted.

Cheers,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook