SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mayer's Motor Mount for Sailboat Outboard?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011

Wallilabu is on a distinguished road
Question Mayer's Motor Mount for Sailboat Outboard?

Hi friends. When I restored my 1964 Sparkman and Stepehen Sailmaster 22, I mounted a 6 HP Suzuki in the stern lazarette for auxillary power, with remote controls in the cockpit. Although aesthetically pleasing, I am not satisfied with her handling under power with this configuration and am thinking of moving the motor to a stern mount. I've used the traditional stern brackets on other boats this size, but haven't cared much for them either.

Anyway, I ran across this new design called the Mayer's Mount, designed and patented by Tom Mayers down in the Keys. The Mayers Motor Mount, Sailing, Outboard Motor Management System

The concept is basically a stainless steel tubular frame that has a movable yoke on which the motor can be raised and lowered to proper position. Ease of doing so is a clear plus, and the motor can be on the centerline, but it would carry the wieght further aft. Does anyone have any experience or insight into this mount?

Wallilabu
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook