SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cored deck soft spot repair
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011

Wingnut247 is on a distinguished road
Thank you sir... may I have another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCatalina310 View Post
Congrats on the recent purchase. Good luck with her.
Thanks

Quote:
If it was me, here is what I would do:

1) The water coming into the deck is the first problem... I would suggest you go to Maine Sail's site and searching these forums for details on how to do this.
GREAT site link. Looks like the way to go. I have rebedded a small sailboat before... while I feel like I did a good job, I see now that I could have done a little better. (Flare/counter sink) Live and learn... I will try this technique at the end of summer on the rest of the boat (that is not leaking yet) as well as the repair to the current problem spot.

Very helpful thanks.

Quote:
2) If you core damage around the deck hardware, you should fix this before you re-bed the hardware...
Yes... otherwise I'd seal in the moisture and the problem would get worse.

Quote:
3) Then, if the deck damage is bad enough, look at the epoxy injection or core replacement.
Yeah. With it being a small area (and not under the mast or vital chain plate), I think I will try the epoxy injection first (time and money being a factor). If the problem comes back... I will re-core.

Quote:
Hope this helps.
JK
Yes Thanks.

Now two new questions...

1). How fast do you think this problem will spread?

2). The weather is crappy for the next couple months. Temperature in the 30's to low 40's and rain right now. What can/should I do to prevent more damage with "quick" damage control fix?

Thanks

-Wingnut247

Last edited by Wingnut247; 03-05-2011 at 12:12 AM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook