SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Walkabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by myocean View Post
This is astonishing!
Looks really like quite interesting bluewater boats! And they are indeed very light.
I wonder if they are really fast in real life. Which speed can be expected? As discussed before the payload could be the cruicial point. However, even if not really fast, you would still have a nicely optimized design for a circumnavigation! May be better than an RM.
And, of course, I like the two tillers which leave more living space when mooring.
Ulf
Hi Ulf,

No, this boat is much faster than the RM 1350.

This boat weights with its Max load less than the RM empty. This is more like a Pogo designed to circumnavigate.

Take a look at this numbers:

Lenght Overall
13.68 m
Hull Lenght
12,99 m
Lenght at Waterline 12.70 m
Maximum Beam 4,50 m
Draught 2,15 m
Keel weight 3200kg
Light Displacement 7200 kg
Maximum Displacement 9500kg
Maximum load 2300 kg

The most amazing number for me is the Ballast/weight ratio. Truly outstanding and a very good indicator of the boat seaworthiness.

The Max load is in concordance about what I have been saying about the Pogo 12.50 (that is really a 40ft boat). The max load of this boat (all things included, people, tankage, equipments and provisions) is 2300kg.

If we take into consideration the weight of both boats (5.5T and 7.2T) and make a proportion for an equivalent MAX load, the one of Pogo 12.50 would be of 1757 Kg. If we take the weight from tankage ( +-500kg) and the weight for 4 crew and equipment (720kg) the remaining load capacity for spars, tools and provisions would be only 355kg. The same remaining weight on the Walkabout (considering the same tankage) would be of 898kg, that is a more reasonable load for a circumnavigation, or for cruising in far away places.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-23-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook