SailNet Community - View Single Post - Electrical requirements
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
With all those toys, you really need a genset, even a small one just to run the W/D. I would think the Bene50 has a locker for it. Much more fuel efficient than running the diesel. I also agree that 12v refrigeration is a very good idea. Why burn 2 hrs of fuel every day if you are at anchor and you have wind/solar? On a long cruise, you will find yourself wanting max fuel when offshore, for emergencies and not wanting to waste it just to chill the fridge.

Here is some W/D advice. They don't hold much. If you really stuff them full, they won't wash something that is very dirty either. They are great for getting salt and sweat soaked clothing clean again. I have an unvented Spectra and it uses a huge amount of water and power to dry (yes, it uses water to dry, I can explain if anyone likes). I would plan to only wash and hang dry. I wouldn't even burn fuel from the genset to bother. Therefore, my final advice, try to buy quick drying clothes. Cotton is out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook