SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heavy Weather Sailing
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by centaursailor View Post
Haven,t read Hal Roth yet and hope I never have to chose but the Pardey`s don,t seem to favor running at all.
They make a compelling case for remaining hoveto to a sea anchor off the bow. Seems this was Jeans strategy also.
Safe sailing
I hope I never have to choose either! Roth actually recommends carrying both a drogue and a sea anchor. I read the Pardey's book (Storm Tactics) and they do make a good case for it. They also pop in here every once in a while - so hopefully they'll come in and give us some more perspective.

According to Roth, the downside is that, especially with newer designs, you can get quite a bit of yaw since you've got a single anchor point (as opposed to the series drogue) and a lot of relatively stretchy line - and the structural stress from the set-up is huge. Also, he doesn't like that fact that if you have to adjust the length of the rhode (for wave period) you have to go up on the deck...in the piss.

Finally, because the chute takes a few seconds to grab the boat, and because the chute can pull out of the face of a wave, you can get beam on during that lull and/or damage your rudder due to the reverse force.

In the end, he recommends having some kind of sea anchor, but his chapter on the JSD is titled "A New Idea" - which tells you something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 03-07-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook