SailNet Community - View Single Post - Electrical requirements
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011

haffiman37 is on a distinguished road
I would have added a gen set or at least a Honda 2KW (2000) to run when using washing machine etc.
No batteries likes running 1/2 charged, gel or non-gel and you will probably never manage to get a 800 bank fully loaded without replacing the bimini top with solar panels!
As for watermaker in the Caribbean, I would not recommend unless you load up with spare filters, the water may not be as 'clean' as it looks! You may buy a lot of water for the cost of both buying and running it.
Your 80 Amp generator will probably not give much more than 50 effective charge.
I managed with 3 x 70 (lead-acid) in the house bank from Norway to Malaysia, 14 months accross Atlantic and Pacific. Ran the engine 3 hrs a day at 1000rpm, std generator.
That powered electric fridge (box), autopilot, instruments and whatever lights, pumps needed. Had a Honda 10IE as 'back-up that I hardly used.
2 adults and my 4 year old son. Used the water tanks for 'general consumption', bought all drinking water.
It is better to learn to live within the limits than trying to expand the limits beyond reason!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook