SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

looks like an unplanned haul out!!!!

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Minnewaska 
#1 ·
The packing leak keep getten worse and worse, so i brought it to local shop and they said the reason i could not get it any tighter was cause the packing nut is already bottomed out, so there for, they must replace the packing and the will not do it on the water, and if they dont want to risk it, then neither do i,,,, so the first haul out for a new owner. what should i plan on doing while she is out...

All the threw hauls have the shut off valves and seem to be working fine,,, I have one transducer going threw haul, wich is for the speed o, but dont plan on using that type of gauge, so i think i am going to put a depth transducer in that location... and of course, if she is out,,, bottom job,,, is there anything else that i should have done while out in dry dock,,,, they might let be buff and wax the sides,,,, any suggestions on what type of compound to use,,, wax,,, any thoughts would be appreciated,,, thanks,

#2 ·
Re-packing the stuffing box can be done in the water but if you have not done it before its probably best to do on the hard.
It is actually not all the difficult a job to do yourself and will save you some money if you do. Here is the best tutorial I know of online: Re-Packing A Traditional Stuffing Box Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com
I'd check the stern tube (behind the stuffing box), if you have one, while you are hauled out.
If you want expert advice on buffing check some of the other projects out at the link above.

#3 ·
if you can , have all the parts you need to do the repairs, and your bottom paint ...BEFORE you haulout the boat...it will save you $$$...and you wont be sitting in drydock waiting for the parts....if it is a do it yourself project make sure the yard will allow you to do the work....most yards charge by the foot and by the day ....so planning ahead can really save you a lot of $...I am doing my first haulout repair will,splash the boat in the morning...clean ,scrape and paint the bottom 32 ft boat is less than a one day job,i allso had to replace my prop ,we had all the parts ordered and they arrived before noon ...pulled the boat at 8 am this morning , finished the work by dark ,and ready to splash in the morning ...haul out cost here ( fl ) is 8 $ per foot and 1.25 a foot for work area and stands....everything else is extra and it adds up fast ...good luck

#4 ·
Check the throughhulls for dezincification if they're bronze, check the cutlass bearing, rudder hardware, rudder stock, rudder bearings for wear and slop, check the zincs for replacement—replace if less than 50% left.

Have the supplies for bottom painting the boat if necessary.

Check the keel, if the keel is an external bolted-on one.

#5 ·
it is a 31 ft boat,, they gave me a quote of 896 for hall out and paint,,, peteit 65% copper,, and said the stuffing box packing gland should run around 125 for labor and material..... so i am hopeing to get it done for 1200 or less,,, what is a cutlass bearing???? All the threw halls are not bronze,, but like a plastic/nylon,,, i forgot the proper name, but all of those were replaced about 7 years ago,,, have the receipts and they all look good,, going to do the zinc regardless of shape....

#9 ·
....what is a cutlass bearing????....
It is the bearing inside the strut that your prop shaft goes through. They are a definite wear item and need somewhat routine replacement. A worn bearing can lead to other issues.

In addition to what's already been offered, I'm a fan of adding a line cutter to the shaft, if you don't already have one. Clean and polish the prop. If it is a folding/feathering prop, I favor taking them apart everyone once in a while to fully clean and replace all screws, pins, etc.

#7 ·
Save money

You can repack the Stuffing Box yourself in a half hour tops for about $20. $15 for the packing and $5 for dental pick tool.

Paint it yourself in 3 hours tops if you drink beer every 10 minutes. 1/2 h for taping the waterline, 2 h max for the actually painting and clean up. Gallon of paint $200 max if you get the really expensive stuff.

You have to pay for the haul, which will be $250-300, so a huge savings $600 ish out of pocket instead of $1200 for a few hour of your time.

DrB

#8 ·
You can repack the Stuffing Box yourself in a half hour tops for about $20. $15 for the packing and $5 for dental pick tool.

Paint it yourself in 3 hours tops if you drink beer every 10 minutes. 1/2 h for taping the waterline, 2 h max for the actually painting and clean up. Gallon of paint $200 max if you get the really expensive stuff.

You have to pay for the haul, which will be $250-300, so a huge savings $600 ish out of pocket instead of $1200 for a few hour of your time.

DrB
The DIY antifoul advice is sound tho it takes me and my son a good day to clean and paint my 26ft,er, and thats when we are sober:)
Repacking and reassembling the gland is a bit more complex, and as Nola didn,t know what it was to start with I reckon it might be better to let the yard handle it. Maybe watch and learn if the mechanic don,t mind.
The excellent pictorial on Compass Marine is good guidance for anyone with some mechanical knowledge or experience but this is a job you want to get right first time.:eek:
I go along with the yards advice re not trying it in the water, tho I just beech my bilge keeler for most below the waterline maintenance.
SD,s list of checks would be well worth carrying out when she,s on the hard.
Safe sailing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.