SailNet Community - View Single Post - Life jackets for kids: rigid or inflatable?
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Unless there's something new on the market, I'm not aware of any inflatable PFDs that are approved by the USCG for use with children. If there's something new, let us know with a link, please. [Previously, there was a hybrid system that combined foam with an inflatable bladder, but those did not remain on the market for very long and I haven't seen them available for 5+ years now, I think.]

Even if there were, I would stick with closed cell foam for kids. With kids, PFDs need to work flawlessly, without any worry about maintenance or whether the system will self-active or get punctured, etc.

I will echo the suggestion of the Mustang L'il Legends PFDs for kids. These are really the best out there. Very young kids will fuss at first, but get used to them after a while if parents remain firm. They need to be worn at all times when on dock or deck, whether underway or not. If you are consistent with the kids, they soon grasp how it works and it becomes second nature.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook