SailNet Community - View Single Post - Life jackets for kids: rigid or inflatable?
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamstimer View Post
What's your experience, is an inflatable suitable for 3-4 years yo kids? My local dealer sells them only from 20kg up. I find the rigid ones to be uncomfortable, especially when is very hot outside. Am I wrong?

It always helps if you give more information on the header; location and boat type. Something to add for future posts.

Don't listen to anything I say. I break safety rules when I percieve it is safe to and don't really care too much what some of the group thinks about this.

If you live somewhere really hot (Chesapeake Bay, Florida), then if you are going to put the kids in PFDs on a flat clam 100F day you should probably just stay home. It's cruel. We used PFDs some when my daugther was little, but we used a hybrid aproach: harness when conditions were calm to reasonable; in the cabin when rough; PFD when rough or cooler, with a harness too; PFD in small boats or in the water; LOTs of parental attention when small.

Sail Delmarva: Climbing Gear for Sailors; or Jacklines and Harnesses for the Unemployed There is a picture of my girl when she was tiny on a hot calm day, in a harness, playing in a bucket.

But if you listen to any of this, you're on your own. It isn't legal. I don't know you, your boat, the weather, or the waters. I'm just giving some options.
Sail Delmarva: Are You "Captain Safety?"

I've been climbing and sailing for 30 years. I am very attentive. I have also witnessed "safe" people with all of the right gear get dead because they lacked skills. Never a moments inattention, particularly with kids.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook