SailNet Community - View Single Post - Making money along the way...
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
I'm one of those individuals that can make money anywhere I travel--even while onboard. For the past 40 years I've been a freelance outdoor writer and photographer. Additionally, I'm an entertainer/musician. Consequently, I can produce magazine and newspaper outdoor articles along with the supporting photographs for a large audience. I've already lined up two publications for my trips during the upcoming summer.

In 2012 I'll be headed south from Chesapeake Bay to the south Florida Keys. I've already lined up a couple music jobs there, plus I'll still be writing travel and outdoor articles for a half-dozen publications if my mind doesn't go to Hell first.

My point is you must think outside the box. Forget about how you made a living in the past and think about ways to make a living doing what you love doing--sailing. I spent nearly 15 years of my life making a living in Cardio-Pulmonary Medicine--not much of a demand for that on a sailboat.

How about getting your captain's license and taking out day trips on the boat. There's always a demand for day trips, especially in resort areas. There are lots of crash courses that prepare you for the licensing exam and if you meet the criteria there's no better way of making a living with your boat and most of the folks I know that do this love every minute of it.

In NSW (New South Wales), and I assume that you will be cruising that area of the world, there must be a myriad of locations where you could take day-long cruises to one of the islands where your passengers could disembark, eat lunch or dinner, tour the island, then sail back to their home port. There are a few folks that I know of in the Chesapeake's upper reaches that make similar excursions and it provides them with a fairly good income. Some make up to 4 or more trips a week, depending upon the weather. One offers a Bed & Breakfast/Cruise combination on a 50 footer, which can involve cruises lasting up to a week.

Just something to consider,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook