SailNet Community - View Single Post - Making money along the way...
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
.....How about getting your captain's license and taking out day trips on the boat. There's always a demand for day trips, especially in resort areas. There are lots of crash courses that prepare you for the licensing exam and if you meet the criteria there's no better way of making a living with your boat and most of the folks I know that do this love every minute of it......
I just happened to speak to someone who felt exactly the opposite. He said the day tripper had only one thing in common, they would all be drunk, all the time. He hated it.

I also assume that you would want to consider insurance for a charter business, which means you will have to do some just to recoup cost.

Skills that I find are in most demand by boaters, where the owner isn't even sure how to rig something to get by: refrigeration, diesel, electrical. In that order. Sails, rigging and carpentry, are skills that most feel comfortable at least patching up temporarily, which reduces their value to pay you. When on the open seas, I understand you are more likely to barter than be paid in cash, however.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 03-09-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook