SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ipad for GPS
Thread: Ipad for GPS
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011

sealover is on a distinguished road
alright how about an ipad 2 ?

Thinking of getting an ipad 2... (non-3g) will it function any better than a first generation ipad as far as being a chart plotter?

Also, those who use their ipads for Nav/Chart plotting -- what kind of battery life do you get?

I have a droid phone with the Navionics app and it works great for chartplotting but the GPS use eats battery so I rarely use it. I run my depthfinder off a 12V car jump starter so I don't have limitless power. (and no car charger for the droid, so I can't even charge that on the boat)

Or should I get a used ipad when the 2nd one comes out and everyone unloads their old ones cheap?

Would be nice to have the camera aspect of the new one (not necessarily for sailing, but for other things)

I'm sure I could come up with some sort of holder for it so it would stay attached to the boat, maybe on a swing-out mount in the companionway so it's shielded from direct sun and not likely to get splashed, but can be moved inside in case of rain (I can sit inside the boat and watch movies, I suppose)

Thanks!

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook