SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb74 View Post
Structures is pretty open (in my discussions with them), on finding that slot for the delivery date. On the 10.50, when I last spoke with them, there were a few slots that could have been available before the full 2 1/2 year wait list as some (a few) buyers wouldn't mind postponing delivery due to various reasons. I'm not sure if this is still the case because it's been a few months since I've spoke with them but I would imagine there are slots in well under 2 years.
Please excuse me for this late reply, I was absent for some time. But I did follow your advice and asked Structures for an update. Unfortunately (for me) all pre-bookings have been confirmed so the waiting list remains around 12-18months for the Pogo 12.50. Which is still a lot better than for the 10.50 and since we are now almost half-way...

Meanwhile some very interesting posts have catched my attention. For example, I very well understand JAndersB looking for an even more exhilarating boat than the Dehler 43. Having sailed a Dehler 39 CWS for many years, also a quite fast design considering the time and rating issues, I also missed the kick one gets on a Laser or a 470.
Of course no seaworthy sailing yacht will ever give the same feeling, but during a week on the Pogo 10.50 we sometimes got quite close. Over 13K in 17K of true wind, under asymetric but in cruising mode (probably even somewhat overloaded), these light displacement boats clearly play in a different league. The figures bb74 posted are certainly realistic.

Speaking of displacement and load capacity, I agree with Paulo. There are of course no miracles, not even in yacht design, we have to make choices. Light, beamy and fast (especially downwind), or more comfortable with better load capacity. The latter increases with the size of the boat and that's one of the reasons why we opted for the bigger Pogo. And why they now work on a 50 footer, for those who want to spend months instead of weeks on board. Blue water cruisers like the RM's try to make the best out of two worlds and may be a good compromise.

Concerning ballast ratio, I would like to add a parameter: draught. The lower the ballast is, the more efficient it will be. That's why a lighter but deeper canting keel will work as well as a more heavy fixed or lifting keel, while reducing total weight. And with a high aspect ratio that might have the efficienty of a daggerboard...

Kind regards,

Eric
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook