SailNet Community - View Single Post - Downloadable PRINTABLE NOAA Charts
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011
Liveaboard in Florida

PopeyeGordon is on a distinguished road
Reply to question about chart books

As stated in my last post, I have not tried printing yet. I think the idea of this NOAA experiment is that you simply hit the print button and get an 8x11 format complete with front cover and page numbers.

Obviously it is not as convenient as a sigle sheet chart, but would be a lot better than nothing. Would be current. One could use water resistant paper if you know where to find it.

I'm thinking if you are motoring up the ICW, for example, and you had this chart book convenient it might be a way to doublecheck the accuracy of your chart plotter data or to use as a backup during power or equipment failure without buying the charts.

There is a lot of highly technical software technology vernacular being thrown about in this thread. In spite of my 30 years of working in the electronics field(mostly PCB mfg and repair) I find all this talk about format and conversions over my head. Many of us computer users have no interest in or patience with the software world as hobby and leave it to the software geeks. I'd rather learn more about sailing and cruising than software manipulations. No disrespect intented, just explaining my approach to chart data.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook