SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Downloadable PRINTABLE NOAA Charts

117K views 155 replies 88 participants last post by  alpinekid 
#1 ·
I like to have some paper charts in case the GPS charts go away. At $20 a chart, that gets pretty expensive on a long trip. It seemed like there should be some standard format, printable copies of the NOAA Nautical Charts on the internet, but I couldn't find any. So I made some. Here are the NOAA charts in .png format, full resolution:

http://xpda.com/nauticalcharts

#125 ·
I did not read all comments, but I think what everyone wants are the free NOAA booklet charts that allow you to print any NOAA chart on your home printer:
http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/staff/BookletChart.html

And if you want a waterproof chart you add these self adhesive transparent sheets:

http://m.staples.com/Fellowes-Letter-Size-Self-Adhesive-Laminating-Sheets-3-mil-10-pack/product_719627

#129 ·
NOAA is now providing free PDF downloads for almost all of their charts: PDF Nautical Charts

NOAA also has PDF downloads to print Booklet charts (Letter size 8.8 x 11 inches) - they can be printed double sided and then bound into a booklet: BookletChart?

Also special thanks to Bob for the png files - I have used several of your files for teaching and making small sections of charts for PowerPoint presentations over the last few years

#139 ·
One chart shows a bit of the BC coast near Ketchikan and one (the one in your link) shows the area near Victoria as far as Vancouver. Both small scale and not enough detail to enter either without a larger scale chart of the area. The rest of our coast is not on the NOAA website. Canada (and other Commonwealth countries) are very tight with their charts unfortunately.

#141 ·
Thank you original poster for this. Perhaps some one would be so kind as to inform me on how to download and have working on a laptop the graphical chart selector that NOAA has at Interactive Catalog ? The laptop will not be connected to the Internet when I need to look up a chart. I tried saving the interactive catalog while in Firefox, File => Save Page As but what happens when I invoke the saved htm file is a message comes up "Sorry for the inconvenience but the database is temporarily offline, please try back in a couple hours. Thanks."
Not only is a file named " Interactive Catalog.htm" downloaded but a sub directory containing many java script files was included. I think the problem is the location of the java scripts is not where the file "Interactive Catalog.htm" points to. Sorry this is more of a programming question but maybe some one has ran in this problem and solved it. Thanks for any help.

#149 ·
As others have said, if you just want to view them interactively its best to use a free or low-cost app that will stitch the RNC or ENC files together for seamless (or mostly seamless) viewing.

As for printing, I've never found a local place that will print one full size (and on waterproof paper to boot) for anywhere near the price that you can get them from the NOAA certified suppliers. And what civilian owns a printer that size? Not me.

#150 ·
I just reloaded NOAA RNC charts and re-installed openCPN. Works much better, looks like it will be usable. Guess there was an issue with the original install. All I need now is a USB GPS device and I'll have a backup chart plotter.

Reactions: miatapaul
#151 ·
#152 ·
WOW! Just found your thread!
Can't imagine how long it took you to create this incredible resource!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D
Richard
PS: Bookmarked and started saving what we'll need for Florida and will then see about getting large prints at our local print shop. Then look into waterproofing them (I know the ink orn their machines is waterproof.

Again, Thank you!

Richard

#155 ·
I like to have some paper charts in case the GPS charts go away. At $20 a chart, that gets pretty expensive on a long trip. It seemed like there should be some standard format, printable copies of the NOAA Nautical Charts on the internet, but I couldn't find any. So I made some. Here are the NOAA charts in .png format, full resolution:

NOAA Nautical Charts in .png Format
I just downloaded and printed one. It works great! Thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.