SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bottom paint in N. Chesapeake
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazsprout View Post
I wondered if you Chesapeake sailers could weigh in on this one. I have a very small sail boat that I bought last year. It is 20+ years old. The boat was living in the Delaware River at the time it was purchased.

It has not one bit of bottom paint. I am guessing prior to its life in the Delaware it was someone's trailer sailer. I sail in the Bohemia River, mostly, and given the size of the boat, I'd be surprised if I ever make it past Turkey Point. The boat is in a slip 6 months of the year.

Does this boat need bottom paint? Do all in the water boats need bottom paint? I grew up sailing in the Great South Bay, and of course bottom paint was not optional.

Thanks!
Chris

If the boats going to be in the water 1/2 the year then yes you need bottom paint.

I've been using Pettit Hydrocoat and think it would be perfect for you since its waterbased making it less expensive and its easy to apply and clean up after. Its multi-season even after hauling out so you'd only have to paint every couple of years. I think it does loose some effectiveness after a haul out but I've never had any hard growth on the bottom. I usually have the bottom de-slimed by a diver once a season.

This on the Chesapeake 5 years at the Rappahannock and one a Herrington.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook