SailNet Community - View Single Post - Surge currents in Marina del Rey!?
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011

dnickers is on a distinguished road
Surge currents in Marina del Rey!?

I've been sailing my Santana 27 in and out of Marina del Rey in Los Angeles for the past two years, on average of twice per week. Today was the first time I have ever experienced any kind of current in this harbor, the largest man made harbor in the world (or so I've been told).

All I've been able to find in the news is that there was a one foot surge in MdR as a result from the Japanese quake, and that happened early Fri.

However, today, I went out for a sail around 1 pm. High tide was at noon and low tide was at 7pm. For the first time ever, there was a current rushing into the marina, making tacking out windward towards the breakwater nearly impossible. So, I dropped my Nissan outboard and motored out.

Thinking about it I thought, well, with the weird surge and tsunami advisory I guess it makes sense that with the tide coming in more water would be rushing into the harbor...which was quite a sight for someone who has never seen a current in MdR. Near the breakwater there was what looked like whitewater rapids near the shoaling buoys.

So, like I said, low tide was at 7pm tonight, and surprisingly, upon returning to the harbor around 4pm, I found that the water was not still going in, but was going out at quite a pace! So much so that even wing and wing, I had to run the propellor to make progress downwind, into the marina!

Can anybody explain this to me, or did anybody else experience this today.

Last edited by dnickers; 03-13-2011 at 05:11 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook