SailNet Community - View Single Post - Designated skipper: Is it necessary?
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwindward View Post
So my question is: is there any value to designating a skipper? Does the authority of the captain extend to kinky things in the v-berth?
Yes! And YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Maybe it doesn't affect you where you are sailing but on the registration papers when you actually sail somewhere interesting, you need to put in the name of the Master (as well as the owner). I thought it very important to put my girlfriend on the papers as Master along with me.

If you get injured (arrested etc) then the 'authority' (coast guard etc) may say the other person isn't a master and can't control the boat and therefore try some trick to get you both off, impound the boat etc.

Remember your US Coast Guard have (or they think they have) the authority to remove anyone on board and sink the boat. So if they chopper you off with a broken .... whatever, they need to be reminded your girly-whirly can legaly sail on into the deep blue. (I can give her my Lat & Lon)

As for the V-berth, if you are both on the papers as Master then you have to take the spankings in turn!

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook