SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any Newport 41 owners in the Bay Area?
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011

kevlarpirate is on a distinguished road
Talt to a real owner

I have owned one for 24 years, and i know several other owners in So Cal.
It is an excellent sailing boat. As for strength , I have shipped mine coast to coast twice on a truck , crossed the Gulf Stream 12 times. sailed successfullu upwind in 34 kts true and 7 foot seas . The boat was built to C&C spec and therefore was able to use C&C as a designer in their advertising
Some earlier hull numbers , (guessing under 10) may have had
some un reinforced forward sections. and I heard of some remote cases where mast step structure absorbed water. Yourself and any good surveyor can detect any specific issues
One thing all of these boats need is a rudder upgrade, That is the only one issue. Also, there has never been a keel bolt issue or a gap opening forward
or anywhere for that matter. As for sailing , forward decks stay dry and at anchor, no annoying butt slapping to keep you awake at night.

My boat rayed 93 and could sail it ,I was dinged 3 seconds a mile for my rudder
but that was worth it considering the improved control under spinnaker in heavier air. I recently sold mine ( the yellow one on ebay) but will be happy to answer questions,
I am also a real engineer not a wanna be
I have materials and structures background so if you get serious
you can private message me and we can talk on the phone.
There are some her who's opinions are just that , opinions , and need to be corrected
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook