SailNet Community - View Single Post - C&C 29 Mk II Vs. Beneteau First 28.5/29
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road
30K is crazy. When I was looking for a 29-11 at the end of 2009 I found several in the 20K range in the Great Lakes. Hot water and shower are nice optional features but hardly worth 10K. Real value of boat might be closer to 24K. I bought my 1985 for $17,500 at the end of 2009. I knocked off $4,000 after the thorough survey for a net of $13,500. I spent all of the $4,000 to have the boat professionally fixed. BTW- Engine was in great shape with low hours, boat had 2 year old Awlgrip paint job and the cushions were in average shape with an average sail inventory and all spinnaker gear and self tailing winches.

Make sure you get a good survey. There are 2 significant design flaws that are not easily observable. The cockpit sole in both of the 29-IIs I've owned has been delaminated. C&C used plywood in the aft section under the pedestal. Water gets in around the penetrations for the rudder post and pedestal with no way of getting out. Plywood deteriorates although there were no stress cracks evident. About a $2500 fix. Quick and dirty way to check is to lean heavily on the pedestal, if the the sole flexes at all the core is delaminated. Fix entails recoring the center area of cockpit sole preferably with solid glass under pedestal and rudder penetrations. 2nd major area of concern is under the keel step. There is a small closed off bilge area that can trap water. A few Midwest winter freeze/thaw cycles and you can have a problem. Check for cracks in gelcoat on outside of keel under the mast. Also check stringers under port bulkhead and area where port bulkhead meets the cabin sole.

When looking at boats check the hull numbers. Boats in the 600s were made in Rhode Island. Other hull numbers made in Canada. Starting in 1985 C&C went to a new method of attaching stanchions. The 85 and after models have stanchions attached to the toe rail which means there is a no cracking in the deck around this area. The earlier models were prone to cracking. Also the cabin portlights are prone to leaking. Make sure that the portlights have been retrofitted with new plexiglass and that they are properly bedded or you will be chasing leaks forever.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook