SailNet Community - View Single Post - Downloadable PRINTABLE NOAA Charts
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Believe me, it's great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopeyeGordon View Post
I looked through this thread but did not see mention of the NOAA link to their charts that have been formatted for easy printing into a book form. Can be done doublesided. Boat/US published a story about this a while back. Main page lets you select chart lists by region and includes print help. They describe this service as 'experimental'.
The "experimental" booklet is exactly what I used to print chart #18649 (Entrance to SF Bay). Printed it in color off my laptop at Kinkos (I don't have a color printer). It prints on single sided 8.5 X 11 pages with numbers that relate to a "Approximate page index" which shows a reduced version of the entire chart. I'm not exactly a "Techie" so it's not difficult. I bought a plastic binder at Kinkos which stores the chart pages in clear enclosure pages. I put the chart pages back to back in the clear enclosure pages, according to ascending index number. I put the "index page" in the front of the book (this is key to the system). I've used it several times, and it is extremely handy. I find the area I want to look at on the index (cover page of the binder). Find the page number, and go to it. The page tells me everything I need to know about a fairly large (Approximately 36 square nautical mile) area. The binder keeps the pages dry, and I don't have a big chart unrolled in the cockpit, or on the table . Would I use it for long range navigation? No. However, in the bay or along the Coast, I find it invaluable! Including the binder, the whole thing cost less than $15 (and I assume most people have a color printer by now!). So, as far as I'm concerned NOAA, the experiment worked!

Last edited by L124C; 03-15-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook