I went down to check on the boat over the weekend. Because I am two hours away by freeway, I can't just run down to take a look any time I want. I'll wake myself up in the middle of the night with questions about the condition of gear, equipment, rigging, etc.
It seems some things are easily remembered, other things get fuzzy in just a couple of days so I prepared a checklist of things to go back over and drove down on Sunday morning.
She has pretty traditional pocket cruiser lines.
The stern, though, is where she shines. I'm not much of a butt man, but I sure like this rear end. I can't believe anyone would hang an outboard on their Excaliburs.
The previous owner met me at the Marina and cleared out the last of his things. It gave me a chance to closely check out the three jibs the boat came with and raise the main for a last inspection. Everything looked good. A small tear is present in the smallest jib that will require repair.
The hull paint is chalky and faded but a run over an area with some compound resulted in a decent shine so a weekend of polishing will likely get me by until I haul her out for new hull and bottom paint.
The initial inspection left me with the impression that a very recent previous owner went through everything and had it pretty well set up. My inspection Sunday confirmed this.
The running rigging is all fairly new. The sails are only a few years old and still in good shape. The rudder is firm and smooth and the tiller handle recently replaced. The standing rigging is older than a few years and will be one of the first things addressed when I get her to Dana Point. It is, however, solid and balanced. The deck has minimal cracking and no soft spots and was repainted within the last few years. The mast does not seem to have settled the deck and the mounting hardware looks to be relatively new. The varnish is starting to chip in some spots but was completely redone within the last couple of years.
The electrical system was all redone fairly recently and although I found some things I'll want to improve on, it looked pretty good for now.
The bilge had minimal water...fresh water from recent rains, and the new manual bilge pump cleared it out quickly. Three thru-hulls were present--sink, head, deck drains. Two were almost new and in good condition. The valve for the deck drains is older but turns freely and seems to solidly seat in open and closed positions.
The plan from here is to go down a day before, prepare everything for the trip, install and run the new engine, sleep on the boat and leave early Friday morning for the first leg to Oceanside.