SailNet Community - View Single Post - Steel sailboat designs
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
What is your current boat ? Doesn't tell me on your profile and I don't recognise the design.

I confess I have never been a fan of Roberts. Seems to me originality is not his strong point and many of his designs are somewhat clunky to my eye. Nonetheless plenty of people who have owned a Roberts seem/have seemed to be perfectly happy.

For a boat of its type the Mason looks OK to me but hey, I am no Jeff Halpern. To be frank I am over full keels. Having owned both a full keeler and more lately a fin keeler there is no way I'd willingly go back though I was perfectly happy when I had one .. except when reversing the bugger under power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSailer View Post
The two designs are: Mason 33 and the tom thumb 305.

My favorite one is the mason 33 which has a low free board, small beam and a reasonable draft ( around 5 ft I think ). I only saw two of these on the internet so the chances that I can find one for sale in 1 or 2 year are pretty thin...

The other one is a Bruce Robert tom thumb 305, IMHO the tom thumb look far better then the other full keeler designed by Bruce, but they are still quite beamy(11') for their length(30'4'')... That combined with the shoal draft(4'6'') is just IMHO not good at all to crawl off a lee shore in a blow with a nasty chop...
I was curious to find a few picture of that boat but couldn't, I only saw a small plan on the Bruce Robert web site.

After a few days searching all over the web, I think that I will stick with the glass sailboat because I can't find any steel sailboat with my critaria....and there is way more boat to chose from in fiber glass.

Here is the link to one of the two mason 33 that I found.

1968 Mason Mason 33 steel sailboat for sale in New York

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook