SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Yoga!
Thread: Boat Yoga!
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Boat Yoga!

My new doctor has been urging me to do yoga. Ugh. Frankly, I've never been a big believer in isometric exercises. The thought of positioning my body in these odd, contorted poses and staying that way for a while is completely unappealing. I imagine something or other will go thoroughly to sleep and I will be unable to leave the position without help.

And then I had this thought ... ding! It is exactly what I have been doing these last few weeks -- boat yoga! Getting into and holding uncomfortable positions for long periods of time to accomplish my maintenance.

We've all been there. I am always struck anew by how much poor accessibility impedes our progress whenever I do maintenance. Turning a wrench or screwdriver at the end our reach is difficult because we barely position it and can only turn it by twisting the wrist, not applying leverage using our major muscles close to our bodies. A job that would take 5 minutes in the open takes 30 minutes instead, all the time holding ourselves in awkward, contorted positions and requiring a lot more turning effort from minor muscle groups.

Misery loves company, so spill it! When doing your maintenance, what is your least favorite and most necessary boat yoga position? Be specific and descriptive, and should you exaggerate a little I'll never tell!
Pasadena, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook