SailNet Community - View Single Post - Charter operator links?
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011

rockbottom is on a distinguished road
risky business

many late model{2006-newer} ex-charter boats mostly bavarias and benes for sale in med{croatia} as well as BVIs under Moorings brockerage,,due to current recession in usa and elsewhere many charter co.s have gone or are going out of business and selling off their boats,,now is a very good time to buy providing the boat is for personal use,,i would not venture into this business area unless i had a signed agreement with a resort in PUNTA CANA or some other island to do daysails,,beware of using old boats as many families will not bring their kids on an old boat and be sure you have knowledge of toilet repair or someone on board who does as that will be your first repair at sea,and many resorts dont want an old boat in front of their resort unless it is an outrigger canoe as used in hawaii or south pacific ,,many people have this plan of buying a boat and chartering it only to be sorely disappointed,,if you want to liveaboard anyways and dont rely on any possible charter income i say ,,go for it,,on some islands south of USVI and BVI you can run daily booze criuse/snorkel runs and get 40-50us a person and do qiute well with an older monohull,,cat woiuld be advantage with at least two toilets,,i met aman doing this out of nassau in the bahamas and he made out qiute well during springbreak,,because he was married to a bahamian he bypassed much of the redtape that a foreigner cannot as a bahamian must own business unless its simply financial in nature such as a bank,mutual fund or finance co. etc,,many islands have same laws in place so it is wise to investigate or authorities can and will seize your business assets{boat} and deport you forthwith along with seizing any money they are of the opinion you earned illegally,,as for dealers helping dealers as in the car business dont rely on free info in charter biz as posted earlier as many customers are one time deals in the daysail biz and nobody gives you the overflow from the criuzeships but directs them to another offship activity like swimming with dolphins etc.,dont want to burst your bubble but some businesses are like a**holes as everyone has one,,cheers
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook