SailNet Community - View Single Post - Outboard motor shop scam?
View Single Post
post #38 of Old 03-17-2011
mitiempo

I have never had an outboard serviced. But every time I take my vehicle in for service I ask the price of whatever I am having done, say a minor or major tune-up and an additional complaint possibly. I ask them to call me if anything comes up and give them my cell number. Yes, I have had repairs beyond the price of what I originally asked for, but I knew every step of the way what the problem was, what the price would be and when it would be ready. I have used numerous shops over the years and never had a problem really and no big surprises.

Adam
New car dealers charge by the job, using GM's time listed for each procedure for example. But there is a built in buffer and I doubt many mechanics take the listed time to do the job. If GM says the job takes 2 hours you get billed for 2 hours and the mechanic finishes faster - sometimes quite a bit faster. The return on an 8 hour day for a shop like this is pretty good.

I think it's best to ask around and find a shop that has a good reputation. If you use them and find they are good stick with them. A good small shop would be my choice over a large one.

But I think learning to do as much as possible yourself is the best solution.

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome