SailNet Community - View Single Post - Outboard motor shop scam?
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Ok I got my motor back today and paid them for the work. It was $136 worth of parts and a whopping $715 of labor. I paid $700 cash today and they let me post date a check for next friday for the rest of the balance which was $225.

Ok the parts were... a new button for electric starter, new impeller, head gasket, thermostat and several other small things averaging around $5 to $10 each. Once again, parts only came to $136.

The labor was... repair battery cables, tank test engine ran hot, change clamp handle, replace start button, change gear oil and pump impeller. Remove cylinder head, exhaust plates, and engine block. Clean corrosion, unclog passages, drill out frozen head bolts, change thermostat, retank test runs and cools good.

So in the end, I realize this was a big shop and also came up as a dealer for Nissan outboards. I don't feel I was scammed anymore but it was certainly overpriced. I could have brought it to a small shop and I think they probably could have done it for half the price. Much like bringing your car to a dealership to get worked on is much more expensive, this is basically what I done with my outboard even though I was not quite aware of it. So am I satisfied with the work they done, I would say yes as far as the work goes. Was it too expensive? No, it was INSANELY too expensive! Do I feel it was worth it? I still think it was. Would I do it differently next time? If there was a next time, you bet I would! Would I ever go back to this shop again? NO, because their prices are just too high thats the main problem I have now that its all said and done. Do I recommend taking an outboard to a shop for service and repair? NO and if you do tell them your not spending no more then your limit.

Thats it, overall I am glad to have it back and running good. They recommend I run it in a bucket of water after using it to keep it from getting corroded again. Problem is, it is not very easy to remove from my boat while its in the marina. I guess I will have to figure it all out because I don't want this to ever happen again.

WOW many lessons learned. One, fix myself next time or sell it for little and buy new.

"The sound of the sea, is becoming very familiar to me."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook