SailNet Community - View Single Post - Downloadable PRINTABLE NOAA Charts
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011
vagrant

bobwebster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capslock118 View Post
So, I'm guessing you took the raster images from NOAA and converted them to PNG via a converter you found?

I'm curious what you printed these images on. An 8.5x11 wouldn't produce any usable map since the image is so large, so you would need to send to a printer which - how much does that cost relative to buying a waterproof map at a store?

I'm really just asking if you have found this to be cost effective; no dis-respect.
I wrote the program to convert the .bsb files to .png. You're absolutely right -- 8.5x11 is too small to read a chart. I have a 13x19 printer that will print charts that are barely big enough to read. For me, it's a useful backup to electronic charts when I'm going a long way and probably won't need the charts.

Alternatively, several applications will print large charts "tiled", or in pieces, on small printers. It's more convenient to use a larger chart if you have access to a large printer, and like you say, it may be better to buy one if you're going to be using it very much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook