SailNet Community - View Single Post - Charter operator links?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011

cupper3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
many late model{2006-newer} ex-charter boats mostly bavarias and benes for sale in med{croatia} as well as BVIs under Moorings brockerage,,due to current recession in usa and elsewhere many charter co.s have gone or are going out of business and selling off their boats,,now is a very good time to buy providing the boat is for personal use,,
Yup, great time to buy, agreed.

Quote:
i would not venture into this business area unless i had a signed agreement with a resort in PUNTA CANA or some other island to do daysails
Daysails is pretty vended out; what I mean by that is that most islands have enough locals already doing this. Yes, there are advantages, and perhaps I would sub-contract on an overflow basis to an existing island local, but the main focus is longer term crewed charters.

As I suggested, I have great contacts in my local community to people who were not affected by the recession, and they are my target market.

Quote:
,beware of using old boats as many families will not bring their kids on an old boat and be sure you have knowledge of toilet repair or someone on board who does as that will be your first repair at sea
You have no idea how I am NOT looking forward to toilet repairs! I am considering compost toilets, but they bring their own set of problems with other people using them.

Quote:
,many islands have same laws in place so it is wise to investigate or authorities can and will seize your business assets{boat} and deport you forthwith along with seizing any money they are of the opinion you earned illegally
I am aware of the situation, and am working with a couple of island/nations right now to determine the best way to operate within their regulations. It is interesting that some are very responsive, others, well... let's just say they epitomize the term "island time".

Thanks for the thoughts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook