SailNet Community - View Single Post - Outboard motor shop scam?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
A few thoughts. I've rebuilt a number of mid-90s motors and I'm not too bad at it.

* Unless you are SURE it is fraud--a serious accusation, you have to pay the bill. To do otherwise is stealing.

* Just getting the lower unit off, if it has not been kept lubed, can take hours. I can believe 8-10 hours total. Sounds right; I once did similar service to four identical 9.9 Yamahas I own (long story that makes more sense when you know that my boat has twin 9.9s) and it took hours even after I was good at it.

* Cleaning corrosion is time consuming.

* Mid-90s is long in the tooth if a motor has not been maintained. Doable for sure, but tough at $75/hour.

* Any outboard owner should get to know them better. A mechanic is not always handy. However, I would suggest the MANUFACTURER manual, not an aftermarket manual; pricier and worth it the first time it saves time. I have found this to be true of cars and boats.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook