SailNet Community - View Single Post - Water flow issues
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Water flow issues

I need some advice on hydrodynamics of a raw water system.

The genset that I am busy reconstructing used to have an external raw water pump, apparently electrically driven. Whilst I have the appropriate electric pump, I have a nervousness that it would be more likely to fail than a belt driven one.

So in my reconstruction, I have incorporated a belt driven pump of the same capacity but due to severe space limitations, I cannot place it into the system where it used to be without considerable re-engineering.

So my question is - in the sketch below (excuse the quality, pencil drawn), what would the implications to water flow be if the pump was located in a pull-orientation as opposed to a push-orientation?

I have a sneaky suspicion that the heat exchanger may lose some efficiency if the water is drawn through it under a vacuum as opposed to forced through it under a mild pressure.

As a possible variation, I could locate the pump in the circuit directly at the outlet of the heat exchanger but the position shown in the sketch is the line of my least resistance

Any ideas out there (or even better, previous experience)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook